Wednesday, October 8, 2014

the first (and hopefully last) decel

day 38:
so last night's NST was the first time that either baby have had a decel (deceleration in heart rate.) decels are basically the reason that i am on the monitors to begin with. the doctors look for decels since they can be a sign of cord compression. i heard his (baby a) hear rate drop (because I'm always listening) and it got slower and slower and stayed slow for an entire minute. their heart rates drop often, but never this low (down in the 80s) and never for this long. my nurse ran in and stuck something on my finger to check my pulse so that we knew it wasn't getting my heart rate instead of his. while she was in there his heart rate went down to the 80s again, but only for 30 seconds that time. after that, he got what they call "tachy" aka tachycardia (elevated.) barb explained it to me like this "baby got tacky and lost a little variability. a very normal response to stress. again think what happens when we have a near miss car wreck. that adrenaline rush. fight or flight response." so heres a photo of the two decels. you can see the first one (but the tracing wasn't great) and the second one was only audible and not traced but its where the mouse is on the screen.


his heart rate stayed elevated for at least an hour or two after. doc wolfe just happened to be here during all of this (thank goodness) and they were all trying to decide if he had a high baseline with decels (bad) or if he had a lower baseline with prolonged accels (good.) you can see his heart rate going up out of the blue:



hope thats not too confusing (i can see my dad telling me he was confused later) they turned me on my side and talked about giving me fluids and kept me on the monitor with the pulse thing on my finger for longer than i normally stay on. eventually they both went back to how the normally look so i was able to get off and not be monitored all night. praise the Lord!

so this morning i was eager to get on the monitors and see how they looked. they looked totally normal with only one little decel, which was during a contraction. after i got off, i got called up for my routine ultrasound to check the cords. in some weird way i hoped that they would find something so that i would have answers. but everything looked perfect. so doc hennessey comes in after the ultrasound and asks what in the world happened last night. i said "you tell me! haha" but he really didn't have an explanation. doc wolfe had told me this morning that last night was exactly why they monitor me and what they look for but doc hennessey said the opposite. he said that when you monitor babies as much as mine are you will see some weird stuff with no explanations. he didn't feel like it was anything serious to worry about. he said "but they were having a PARTY last night" …i'm getting more and more worried about baby a's personality hahaha. he seems WIIIILLLDDDDD and unpredictable.

last night was a good reminder of why i am here. things can change FAST with no real explanation. i am so grateful for the opportunity to be here and be cared for like i have.

after my ultrasound my mom came up with simms, bendel, and oscars taco shop for lunch. it was awesome. thanks mom! simms found a new favorite toy in my room


oh! i almost forgot. doc wolfe went over the dates she thought would be best to deliver me on. she gave me the options of the 21 or 22. after much debate and prayer we are going with the 22nd. hennessey felt like that was the better day too. so two weeks from today! i don't think they actually have my scheduled yet since we all just decided this afternoon but i will let you guys know when its set in stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment