Saturday, September 13, 2014

just another boring saturday

day 13:
last night the housekeeping lady was telling me how earlier in the year she worked 55 days straight so that she could pay for her grandson to have a graduation bbq and when my night nurse heard this, she gave her $300. i teared up when she told me. for so many reasons. one, i can't imagine working 55 days straight (she only gets 5 hours of sleep a night i should add) for much of anything. two, i wish i had a heart like my night nurse. good grief. every time she comes in my room she says "what can i get you? what can i do for you? are you doing ok mentally?" she has such a servant heart and it is beautiful. i LOVE this nurse. 

so last night's NST was crazy for second… or well 20 seconds to be exact. i was just sitting on my phone and watching tv, like i do for all of them. i have them turn up the heartbeat sounds and turn the monitor toward me so i can watch for all of them because i love medical stuff and love learning everything. all the sudden i heard a heartbeat really slow down and i looked over and it was beating at about 110 (they are usually in the 150s) and it stayed down for apparently long enough to set off some sort of alarm at the nurses station and my nurse and another nurse came running in saying "whats going on with your baby!" i could tell they were a little panicked but it slowly creeped back up. my nurse said "well i have never seen either of your babies do that! that was definitely a cord compression" and while she was talking to me another nurse came in and said "did you find baby? is everything ok?" and my nurse told her everything was fine now. needless to say, she kept a close eye on them for the rest of the NST and they looked great the whole rest of the time. from what i understand, if you monitored any baby at this gestational age you would see this happen. because the babies are in a tight space with a cord and anytime they grab it or something, you will see a dip in heart rate. as the babies get further along the cords they get more of a substance called wharton's jelly which protects all the important vessels and basically makes the cord thicker and stronger.. so as they grow you will see less of these dips.

this morning i woke up just in a bad mood. not really for any reason. my morning NST absolutely crept by and i was texting cal the whole time bitching and moaning about being in the hospital. this was the first time i just wanted to get in my car and go wherever i wanted and be left the hell alone. i was just mad at the world for no good reason and complaining about everything. dr. towers came by and didn't seem concerned with the incident last night. so that was good. the morning NST looked great and i jumped in the shower as soon as it was over. my mom, brother, and simms were getting here while i was getting ready and brought me lennys (thanks mom!!!!!!) a little while after they had been here my sister in law said she was here so we all walked down to meet her and show her how to get back up here. while we were waiting for her downstairs a lady came in with a seeing eye dog and simms of course lost his mind with excitement. it was such a treat for me because taking simms to see animals is one of my favorite things and i haven't gotten to do it anymore. i love his reactions and i love animals as much as he does. so neat that God let that happen today in a hospital! we met elizabeth and jumped on the elevator… then once we got up to the 12th floor we realized that we had forgotten to hit floor 3. the nurse yesterday told me that floor 12 has the best views of the river and mountains and campus. i said "whats on the 12th floor?" and she said "oncology"…who better to enjoy those views? when the doors to the 12th floor opened, in walked a husband and wife. the wife had no hair and a bandana on, along with a mask over her face. she was carrying two of those spill proof snack cups for kids. my heart sank…


was i seriously complaining about ANYTHING today? SERIOUSLY?! this mom is living on the 12th floor getting chemo treatment and i am complaining. 

12Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
14Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,16holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me. 
phillipians 2:12-18

dear self…….. shut the hell up. like yesterday.

after we got off on our floor, my mom said she had seen that lady downstairs with her kids who looked to be twins. just kill me. they all left and my dad came up not long after they left. i was excited to see him because i didn't know he was coming. we had fun just talking and hanging out. not long after he left, my friend shawna surprised me and came up. she brought simms the coolest toy to play with while he's up here and of course he LOVED it tonight:

she also brought me a bag of goodies… literally the most thoughtful stuff… i don't deserve all this kindness everyone!!!!! but i am so thankful. thank you shawna!!!!!!! 

cal and simms just left and i have to be back on the monitors in 15 minutes..hoping for an uneventful night and thanking Jesus for the lessons i needed to be retaught today…

oh.. and GO VOLS!


No comments:

Post a Comment