Tuesday, September 30, 2014

29 weeks

day 30:
last night's NST seemed different to me. both boys heart rate is usually around 150.. last night they stayed around 120s. apparently their heart rates will drop with gestational age. my nurse didn't seem concerned with it last night but of course i was sending photos of my strips to nurse barb (who is on vacation and still dealing with my annoying ass…she rocks in case i haven't made that clear) and she assured me they looked great and not to worry. i listen to what barb says. i also got my steroid shot after i wrote the blog yesterday. nothing like a shot in the ass..i mean of course it can't go in my picc line. must. go. in. ass.

this morning i popped out of bed at a fresh 5:45 am… thanks steroids. so i was ready on time for my NST which is rare. i am always asking for an extra 5-10 minutes. i got a nurse i had never had today along with one i have. i am going to be honest. this annoyed me. i have been here a month and feel like if i haven't had them already, no thanks. i am very attached to my awesome nurses and don't like learning someone new (yes i know this is terrible.) but i really really rely on consistency here. it gives me peace. but when a new nurse comes in, she doesn't know the routine with me. such as, how i use lotion instead of the ultrasound gel for my NSTs and how when you flush my picc line you have to pulse the flush instead of pushing it in all at once. i could go on about my routines here, but ill spare you guys the misery. so when a new nurse comes in, i feel like a giant bitch trying to tell them what "we" do. the last thing i want to come across as is a know it all.

so today was my picc line dressing change day! a day i wait for all week. the dressing is the sticker around the picc line and it basically feels like poison ivy all week long. but when they change it, they clean it with several different things that feel like pure heaven. its the only time all week that it doesn't itch miserably. so i was super excited about this. well, of course the nurse i am not used to having is here to do it. which sucks. its nothing against her, she is sweet as can be…..but she didn't do it like i was used to. very disappointing. so i may ask the charge nurse if i can always have the same nurse do it so i know what to expect. am i sounding like rain man? i think i am.



so anyways, this mornings NST their heart rates were back in the 150s? i asked doc hennessey, barb, and the resident doctor all about it today and everyone said it was all fine. they did have a few more variables (dips) more than usual but again, nothing to be concerned about. after i got off the monitors cals aunt and his two cousins (hope, meghan, and anna) came up to see me and brought lennys (thank you guys!!) those girls are like sisters to me and i love them tons! not to mention thats 2 of simms' favorite babysitters. after they left my friend lea came up to visit, in the midst of her chaotic life! thank you for taking time out of your day to come visit lea!! just as she was leaving my mom and monkey got here! mom ate at my most favorite lunch spot around here (subs and such in maryville) and brought me a 213987 inch sandwich that ill be eating all week long..hahahaha. thank you mom!



since i had a steroid shot yesterday (and another one today) i have to get my blood sugar tested an hour after i eat. its honestly the worst part to me. not the finger prick but watching how much sugar i eat so that i won't need insulin. i hate that the steroid shots cause your blood sugar to spike and today i am going to complain about it because i love sugar. simms was a little more interested in it today than i am

(lens: mom)

when she left to take him home for a nap i walked out with them carry him. i went to hand him off and he reached back for me crying. he hasn't done that yet but its a horrible feeling. the silver lining is that he still wants his mom even though i only spend a couple hours a day with him. 

pretty sure my other favorite night nurse is off again tonight (and she should be, she works too much and deserves some fun) but if she were here she would ask me like she always does "how are you doing mentally?" and today i would say "OVER IT." its not that I'm sad but i am just over it. then my sweet day shift house cleaning lady comes in to clean. i've only seen her once or twice because i usually have leola clean at night (I've talked about her before.) but i was talking some to her and she has very broken english and a strong accent. i ask where she is from and she tells me liberia. she moved her 4 kids here about 10 years ago. i asked her how often she gets to go home and visit all her family (she and her kids are the only ones here) and she tells me they've been back once :((((( IN TEN YEARS. am i really complaining about day 30 in the hospital down the street from all my family? really? she didn't even seem to let it break her stride. she went on and told me how much they love to see snow and send her family pictures because they've never seen snow. how grateful she is for her 4 kids to be in good schools here and how glad she is that they are safe. thank you jesus for putting me in my place…again. see you again next week.

sweet kathy sheppard brought us another awesome dinner from the adpi house. thank you kathy!!! i am waiting on simms and cal to get up here so we can eat it. oh! and before i forget… I'm 29 weeks today!!  one week away from our original milestone. crazy. 3 more weeks. taking one day at a time right now though. 






No comments:

Post a Comment